Protecting your tenants with regular gas safety checks
As a landlord, it is your legal responsibility to ensure that all gas appliances, fittings and chimneys or flues within your rented property are safe.
This means regular servicing according to the manufacturer’s guidelines, plus annual gas safety checks which must be carried out by a fully qualified engineer.
Continue reading Landlord Gas Safety Checks and Records: What are your obligations?
In 2007, a 65-year old woman died after she lit a log fire whilst heating up water in the boiler. These two activities then made the equipment explode. The investigation shows that the iron boiler behind her fireplace was not properly decommissioned.
After the explosion occurred, the Severn Vale Housing Society Ltd was fined £50,000 and was ordered to pay costs of £7,500. This was successfully prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive.
Continue reading Fighting for a Gas Safe Nation – Landlord’s
The handling of your gas appliances is a serious business that requires Gas Safe registered engineers. Two years ago, a gas fitter had burnt an electrical cable while soldering a gas pipe with a blowtorch. The gas fitter repaired it by taping it up. Three weeks later, the boiler exploded and left the 66-year old homeowner in Crumpsall in a coma for three months and the victim suffered 66 per cent burns caused by the explosion.
Continue reading Fighting for a Gas Safe Nation – Tenant’s
We are delighted to see that Gas Safe Register – the body that regulates the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances – has won an award for its campaign to cut the number of people dying through faulty gas appliances in their homes.
Gas Safe Register has won a Gold Award for the design of its Silent Killer campaign at The Design Business Association’s recent Design Effectiveness Awards.
Continue reading BHE plays its part in award-winning campaign to cut deaths from faulty gas appliances