Keeping homes gas safe for 50 years 1971-2021

NORTH WEST OFFICE 01204 450450

Qualified local engineers!

Award-winning family company

50 years’ experience

Don’t Let Carbon Monoxide Wreck Your Loved Ones’ Christmas

23 Dec 2013

Don’t Let Carbon Monoxide Wreck Your Loved Ones’ Christmas

Don’t let a carbon monoxide tragedy wreck your loved ones’ Christmas

Don’t let a carbon monoxide tragedy wreck your loved ones’ Christmas

Don’t Let Carbon Monoxide Wreck Your Loved Ones’ Christmas

Many families will sit down after their Christmas dinner and fall asleep by the fireside.

But have they eaten or drunk too much, or are they suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning?

That’s the question posed by Lynn Griffiths, founder and president of the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, whose own family suffered the debilitating effects of carbon monoxide poisoning in their home for more than a decade, without even knowing it was carbon monoxide that was the cause of the problem.

Lynn Griffiths said: “The charity has noticed a sharp increase in the amount of carbon monoxide incidents it’s seeing this year. I want everyone to think about the health and safety of their loved one’s family, friends and the old person who lives next door or down the street, as we approach the season of good will this year.”

“Carbon monoxide poisoning can have a devastating effect and the more people are aware of the signs and symptoms, especially at the initial stages, the more chance we have of preventing avoidable deaths and injuries.

“Those poisoned by just low levels of carbon monoxide can go on to develop long term chronic health problems.

It is known that long-term exposure to carbon monoxide is associated with neurological effects – such as having difficulties in concentrating, a change in behaviour or personality.

“As I know only too well from the experience of my own family, people can have their health devastated by low levels of carbon monoxide without knowing what’s causing their debilitating illness for many years,” Lynn said.

She went on: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to cause around 50 deaths each year.  However as carbon monoxide isn’t tested for routinely at post mortem I believe this figure could be much higher.

“There are numerous near misses, many of which still go unreported every year. At lower levels, carbon monoxide causes symptoms that are similar to flu, food poisoning or a virus so include headaches, difficulty in thinking, tiredness and nausea.

“Carbon monoxide symptoms are clearly being overlooked without anyone even thinking or questioning carbon monoxide as a possibility for a loved one’s  or friend’s illness or constant visits to the doctor’s surgery or hospital.”

Paul Wilkinson, Operations Director at BHE Services (Bolton) Limited, said: “When there are faulty appliances or blocked or partially blocked flues, carbon monoxide will quickly build up in confined spaces to levels that can kill in just three minutes.”

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell.

It is produced by faulty or poorly maintained or ventilated hydrocarbon fuel e.g. coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG) burning appliances and by blocked or partially blocked flues.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) remains the biggest cause of accidental death by poisoning in the UK.

He added: “People can help protect themselves by making sure they and their families have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year.

“Their chimney gets swept once or twice a year and by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in the correct place in their home, caravan or boat.

“If someone you know hasn’t got an audible carbon monoxide alarm, please buy them one for a Christmas present.”

“It could end up being the best present you have ever given to a family member or friend because it may just save their life over Christmas or New Year,” said Lynn.

Mr Wilkinson added: “Audible carbon monoxide alarms can be bought from any hardware store or supermarket or supplied by ‘Gas Safe’ companies such as BHE Services (Bolton) Limited. We all owe it to our families, friends, relatives and neighbours to ensure that they are all protected from this silent killer.”

This article was published in December 2013. Please see our website for latest work, pricing & to search for your service.


Latest news

26 Aug 2021

BHE supports Gas Safety Week 2021 - 13-19 September 2021

BHE has once again pledged its support for Gas Safe Register's Gas Safety Week, which this year runs...

Read more

19 Oct 2020

Boiler service FAQs for Bolton homeowners & landlords

Most of us know we need to service our gas boilers annually – but do you know why? Bolton’s BHE ...

Read more

01 Sep 2021

Gas Safety Week 2021: Landlords' responsibilities for gas safety

BHE is supporting Gas Safe Register's Gas Safety Week 2021. Landlords play a crucial role in ensurin...

Read more